We are seeking someone who is a year or two out of uni, who has strong communication skills and a sysadmin background that would now like to develop their networking and consultancy skills and become a high performing, well rounded technical consultant”
- University Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or similar. 1-3 years out of university
- Great attitude essential
- Excellent spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Capacity to create first-rate documentation. Quality of written communication is crucial.
- Broad technology background, possibly from a stint in managed services. Perhaps a history working in a small company where you have been hands-on with many different technologies i.e. you may have worked at a small company with 5 engineers and had to fix everything!
- Understanding of sysadmin - linux ideal or strong windows server experience
- TCP understanding – fundamental networking/application protocols i.e. HTTP
- Programming and/or Scripting experience
Very-nice-to-haves (higher priority):
- Scripting/Programming experience (can be from University): Powershell. Bash/Perl/Python (pref). APIs/JSON. REST.
- Knowledge of LDAP, identity federation. In depth-Active Directory experience highly valued
- Apache and/or IIS Experience.
- Knowledge of ‘the application’ – i.e. Enterprise apps like Exchange, SharePoint, SAP. Knows how a N-tier application functions. Understands front end, middleware and DB. You understand the LAMP stack and/or IIS etc.
- Linux guru/windows guru. MCSE/MCSA and RHCSA/RHCE are valued.
Regular-nice-to-haves (lower priority):
- Office 365 architecture
- AWS, Azure, Cloud platforms in general
- Networking certifications - CCNA, CCENT but not essential.
- Layer 7 security – penetration testing side. How attacks work, cross site scripting and the OWASP top 10
- Storage background could be useful, understanding of SAN/NAS, EMC, NetApp
- Automation – Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Knowledge of Load Balancing/Application Delivery (F5, Citrix)
- Knowledge of WAN Optimisation
- Knowledge of Network Perf and Diagnostics (Netscout, Riverbed SteelCentral, Extrahop, Gigamon, Solarwinds etc)
What’s on offer:
- Training, mentoring and guidance to take you to true technical consultant level
- A junior position in a close-knit team of approximately 16 high performing consulting-engineers, within a wider community of around 120, with the backing and resources of a large organisation. The best of small company and large company in one.
- You would be joining a sociable team, who often hang out outside of work (optional of course!)
- The opportunity to achieve deep skills in Application Delivery Controllers, WAN/Cloud Traffic Optimisation, Network Performance Monitoring and Diagnostics, SD-WAN, Network Automation/Orchestration/Scripting, Cloud Solutions, Hyper-converged Branch and more.